Check out what we're studying in ART!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Chiaroscuro with Vermeer's "Girl with the Pearl Earring"


 

I posted this before (http://artasticartists.blogspot.com/search/label/Vermeer) , but I just wanted to show you amazing the students did on showing "chiaroscuro" (showing a bright light source and having deep dark shadow/contrast). First we did the step by step drawing together. Then traced over with glue. When dry the next time, I had the students follow me with how to apply color with the pastel. We worked color by color and were not allowed to shade with their finger until we were done. We made sure we barely applied the chalk pastel, therefore the other half would have a dark shadow and not much color. Then students made a small Model Magic earring, hot glued it in place (we went over glue gun safety!) with a dot, and then came back to their table where I had metallic medium and plastic brushes to paint their earring that was already attatched.
a handout I tweaked that talks about the history of Vermeer and the painting



A student going over the pencil drawing after we walked through it

painting metallic medium on the clay pearl earring











2 comments:

  1. This is one of the most original and awesome projects I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Pat! I come up with a lot of my own lessons. I always see art and think,"Hmmm. How can I make that into a lesson that's fun, interesting, and new?" I love to challenge myself. However, I do get wonderful ideas from you and other bloggers! We're a team!

    ReplyDelete