Check out what we're studying in ART!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Claes Oldenburg Spoon Bridges

Kindergarten learned about large scale sculpture from one of the masters, Claes Oldenberg! I first started off showing a picture of the famous spoon bridge using my projector and asked if anyone had actually seen it before. Surprisingly, lots of students raised their hands! Many had traveled to Minneapolis or actually saw the sculpture in person. I explained that this sculpture formed a 'bridge' over a small pond and when it was warm outside, it became a sprinkler (sprays from the stem) for a fountain!
Each student, was given a piece of green paper for the 'grassy area' of the sculpture garden. We talked about that a scuplture garden, is a grassy area, sometimes in the back of a museum, that contains many large scale sculptures on display so you can walk around and get an upclose look. Then students were given a piece of blue construction paper to cut out a 'pond' like that of the original sculpture & for the spoon to cross. Then we used different shades of green oil pastels to make little lines for grass. Then Model Magic clay came into play (only the best stuff on earth!) for the round cherry. Model magic is great because it's light, no mess involved, soft, and you can color on it! So if you don't want to have to fire it and have something heavy, this is fast and easy! We rolled it into a ball, then used red washable crayola markers coloring it in!  

Then they were ready to come to my station where put a dot of hot glue to secure our 'bridge' and then another dot of hot glue on the end of the spoon to secure the cherry. I had already cut a bunch of brown pipecleaners to add the finishing touch, the stem, which I let them add, for their final touch as the artist! 

3 comments:

  1. This is a great way to model the spoon bridge! I like the idea a lot. Thank you also for your recent visit to my blog and for your comment about our winter murals. I have an e-mail waiting to send you that has an explaination of your question, but I'll need your e-mail address.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks Kathy! I love your blog. My email is missoetkenartdiva@gmail.com or missoetken@yahoo.com:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this project! I might have to borrow this idea!

    ReplyDelete